I've moved — check out my new blog at cassyfiano.com!

Redirecting in 10 seconds...

Monday, August 13, 2007

Tommy Thompson drops out

Not a surprise, considering he said that if he didn't do well (meaning come in first or second) in the Iowa straw poll, he would drop out.

And, guess what happened?
Saying he has 'no regrets', Governor Tommy Thompson thanked his supporters Saturday night and officially left the campaign trail.

"I want to thank the people of Iowa who were welcoming and supportive as well as my volunteers and contributors from around the country," said Thompson. "I have no regrets about running. I felt my record as Governor of Wisconsin and Secretary of Health and Human Services gave me the experience I needed to serve as President, but I respect the decision of the voters. I am leaving the campaign trail today, but I will not leave the challenges of improving health care and welfare in America."

Thompson, who was elected to serve four terms as Wisconsin Governor and four years as Secretary of Health and Human Services, began exploring a presidential bid last December. Weeks ago, he told supporters and the news media that if he did not do well in the Iowa Straw Poll, he would step aside and leave others to work for the Republican nomination.

"No candidate is more experienced than Governor Thompson and no candidate worked harder; but sometimes the dynamics just aren't there to bring about a victory," said Steve Grubbs, Senior Advisor to Thompson's campaign. "The Governor's staff was deeply committed to him and to his candidacy. If we could have willed a victory, we would have."

Thompson will return to the private sector as well as his non-profit work after a brief time off.

"I have very much enjoyed my years in public service and I am comforted by the fact that I think I made a difference for people during that time. I hope to continue working to serve others over the next few years," said Thompson.

I don't know enough about Thompson to say too much about him. But I did see him in debates, and while he certainly came across as passionate, but he always seemed to come off a little bit crazy to me -- he'd get fired up about something, his face would turn completely red, and I was just waiting for him to start spitting fire with smoke coming out of his ears. He reminded me a lot of a cartoon character.

Oh well -- as Brian from Iowa Voice said, I'm sure he's a good man, and I wish him the best of luck in whatever he chooses to pursue.

0 comments: